On the morning of June 1, 1937, Amelia Earhart took off from Miami Municipal Airport, beginning her second attempt to fly around the world.
That day’s flight was uneventful. She landed in Puerto Rico in the afternoon, but would not complete her circumnavigation. Earhart was remembered in the naming of the field from which her flight began. Miami Municipal Airport was rededicated as Amelia Earhart Field in 1947, and now Amelia Earhart Park is located near the site in northwestern Miami-Dade County.
Famed aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss was the original owner of the field, where he operated a flying school. Curtiss gave the airfield to the city of Miami in 1928. The Navy purchased the airfield from the city in 1942 and used it as one of six satellite airfields for the Miami Naval Air Station (later to become Opa-Locka Airport). These airfields conducted training for Avengers, Dauntlesses, and PB-4Y Privateers. By 1954, the field was no longer in use.