Next Generation Sunshine State Standards
Describe the effect of the United States space program on Florida's economy and growth.
Examine key events and peoples in Florida history as they relate to United States history.
Examples are Mosquito Fleet, "Double V Campaign," construction of military bases and WWII training centers, 1959 Cuban coup and its impact on Florida, development of the space program and NASA.
Examine key events and key people in Florida history as they relate to United States history.
Examples are selection of Central Florida as a location for Disney, growth of the citrus and cigar industries, construction of Interstates, Harry T. Moore, Pork Chop Gang, Claude Pepper, changes in the space program, use of DEET, Hurricane Andrew, the Election of 2000, migration and immigration, Sunbelt state.
Students will analyze the film Florida: Moonport USA.
- analyze the film Florida: Moonport USA.
- describe the effect of the United States space program on Florida's economy and growth.
Florida: Moonport USA video
Florida: Moonport USA - full length (optional)
Motion Picture Analysis Worksheet from the National Archives and Records Administration
Activate prior knowledge:
- Tell students that they are about to watch a film about the Florida space industry during the 1960s. Ask the students what they know about the Florida space industry.
- Students will watch the film Florida: Moonport USA.
- Students will use the motion picture analysis worksheet from the National Archives and Records Administration to the analyze the film Florida: Moonport USA.
- Students will draw conclusions about the impact of the space industry on Florida.