Florida Memory will be down for scheduled maintenance today, October 31st, from 5 pm until 7 pm. We apologize for any inconvenience.
bar of St. Augustine. The Matanzas (Spanish for slaughter) was so
named for the massacre of the Huguenots here by Menendez in 1565.
Although day was rapidly approaching, the great candy-striped light-
house on Anastasia Island still flashed its warning, and across the
marshes still probed the reddened fingers of the aviation beacons. On
the port side appeared the spires and balconies of St. Augustine as the
flotilla drew near the clanging bell of the Bridge of Lions. Blending
with it were the notes of the bells in the old Cathedral calling the
communicants to early Mass. These same church bells have aroused St.
Augustine since 1793.
Through the bridge, named for the lions of the escutcheon of
Ponce de Leon, and almost opposite the mist-enshrouded bastions of
Castillo de San Marcos (Fort Marion), the helm was spun "hard-
starboard" and the Fortuna became alert to run the treacherous bar so
famous in the history of the ancient city. Each following ship swung at
the same place, seemingly as if centered on a pivot, and soon the entire
column was heading for the breakers.
Ralph Waldo Emerson called St. Augustine "little city of the
deep" and it seems indeed to belong to the sea. East, south and west are
the boundary waters-Matanzas and North Rivers (links of the Inland
waterway), and the San Sebastian. "Rivers' they are called; in reality
they are salt water lagoons behind Anastasia Island and North Beach,
these narrow land barriers aloft by a tortuous channel to the ocean.
Separating the Matanzas River from the